Seven Stars Bakery, West Side Providence
Positioned on the corner of Broadway and Knight Street, Seven Stars is a neighborhood bakery that is one of the bedrocks of the West side of Providence. It is one of three Seven Stars in Rhode Island, and probably my favorite, due in part because I used to live nearby and go here a decent amount.
When I arrive I am able to find a parking spot fairly close by. It is street parking, but there aren’t any meters on Broadway (thankfully), so I’m not complaining. They do have a small parking lot on Knight street, but from what I recall, it’s always full so I don’t even bother checking if there’s a spot available. I remember from my past experiences here that they don’t have wifi, so it isn’t the place to go if you have any work that requires going online. In a pinch you could always bring a wifi hot spot or set one up on your smartphone, however. It’s worth noting that although I’ll be rating them as a coffee shop, they are better known for their exceptional baked goods, (especially their breads), so keep that in mind as you read on.
With the knowledge that I won’t be doing work on my computer, and with an hour to kill, I venture in, camera in one hand, and a book in the other. The goal is to take some photos, get some coffee, relax, and finish reading my book. Here we go!
So there you have it. It was a few years ago when I used to come here, and they have definitely upped their game since then. It looks better than ever, and the people who are here today all seem friendly. Some people are meeting friends and others are getting work done, or reading. I ended up finishing my book! With some new knowledge gained, and some exercises from the book to try out I pack up and prepare to head out.
Finish my book? Check. Have some great coffee? Check. Mission accomplished. That’s it for this round. I’ll say goodbye for now, until the next coffee adventure!
The Coffee 401 Verdict
- The coffee is sourced from George Howell, and is quite good. To find out more check out the George Howell’s site http://www.georgehowellcoffee.com/
- The atmosphere is really great for a bakery, but it isn’t quite to the level of some of the dedicated coffee houses in Rhode Island.
- Seven Stars is a decent spot to meet friends. There’s a lively atmosphere and the outdoor seating is nice in the summer. Also parking is free on the streets around it unlike some of the other coffee shops in Providence.
- That being said, I personally wouldn’t make this my top choice if I was meeting someone for a first date. It’s not bad, by any means, but it isn’t as cozy and private as some of the top options. The chances your conversation will be overheard are pretty high.
- Most of the tables are pretty small, and the number of outlets are limited, and there’s no wifi, which might be a no go scenario for some. However, as a place to unplug and focus on work or reading, it’s a decent option. Especially if you can get that back corner table.
While there are a few drawbacks compared to a place where coffee and staying awhile are more of the focus, the Seven Stars on Broadway manages to hold its own as a solid coffee spot. As a bakery it’s top notch, and it definitely gets a high recommendation overall from The Coffee 401. There is something different about the West side of Providence that feels more community driven, and slightly set apart from the stress of downtown without fully relinquishing the vibe of the city. It’s a good feeling. But don’t take my word for it, come see for yourself. It’s a trip well worth it.